martes, 26 de mayo de 2009

PAINTING SEA-PORT MONTEVIDEO - MAY 26TH


Title: “Memories of the Old City”, Montevideo.
Medium: oil on stretched canvas.
Size: 8 x 8
Price: $ 200

Montevideo, the capital of Uruguay is a big city with approx. 1.5 million people. I moved there in 1989 and lived there for 13 years. By the time I moved to Montevideo every student that wanted to go to University had no other choice than moving to the capital city where all University Faculties are centered. That first year I rented a room in an apartment in the “Old City” (Ciudad Vieja) neighborhood close to the sea-port. From the window of my room I could see part of the port and a little piece of sea, I could also hear the boats coming it was nice specially at night when everything was quiet. Living far away from my family and friends was hard for me the first year. This view helped me cope with the feeling of being alone in that city. People I know may have 2 kinds of feelings for Montevideo, they either dislike it and try not to spend more than 2 days in it or they fall in love with it. I fell into this last category. It is a kind of confusing feeling because for example the predominant color of the city is gray but then you have the “rambla” (sidewalk by the sea), the ports and the magnificent European architecture. Walking in the streets at midnight on Friday nights or any other night can be dangerous but at the same time it is beautiful!
This painting comes from my memories of the view from the little window on that year 1989. I had to search deep into my mind to remember after so many years, and why did I paint this today? Because it came to my memory a couple of days ago and my husband told me “if you liked the view from that little window so much, why don’t you paint it?...” Thank you for reading me and let me know if you have any questions.

E-mail: mfallini@yahoo.com

Copyright 2009 by Monica Fallini. All rights reserved.

No hay comentarios:

Related Posts with Thumbnails